Many of the words I chose are from The Thinker’s Thesaurus by Peter E. Meltzer.
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom; all who follow his precepts have good understanding. ~ Pslam 111:10 (NIV)
- apothegm – a) saying; b) growth on throat; c) respiratory condition; d) architectural detail
- codswallop – a) British fish and chips; b) backhand; c) nonsense; d) swallow whole
- deflagration – a) slander; b) explosion; c) mass migration; d) corporal punishment
- harpocracy – a) berating; b) silence c) glad-handing; d) fear of harps
- keelhaul – a) rebuke; b) drill a doorknob hole; c) climb aboard; d) shuck shellfish
- mobocracy – a) agility; b) political control by a mob;) of robotic limbs; d) type of poem
- neoteric – a) lighthearted; b) self-centered; c) genius; d) recent
- ostreal – a) of or relating to oysters; b) night sky; c) of or relating to ostriches; d) unfathonable
- pleonasm – a) stinginess; b) type of political lobby; c) legal pleadings; d) redundancy
- rataplan – a) caste system; b) zuchini and tomatoe sidedish; c) repeating noise; d) type of roof shingle
- smellfungas – a) wine taster; b) faultfinder; c) mushroom tester; d) person with huge nose
- ulracrepidarian – a) presumptuous; b) liberal; c) delusional; d) unkempt
Blessed are those who find wisdom, those who gain understanding, for she is more profitable than silver and yields better returns than gold. She is more precious than rubies; nothing you desire can compare with her. Long life is in her right hand; in her left hand are riches and honor. Her ways are pleasant ways, and all her paths are peace. She is a tree of life to those who take hold of her; those who hold her fast will be blessed. By wisdom the Lord laid the earth’s foundations, by understanding he set the heavens in place; by his knowledge the watery depths were divided, and the clouds let drop the dew. ~ Proverbs 3:13-20 (NIV)
Here are the correct answers.
- a) saying
- c) nonsense
- b) explosion
- b) silence
- a) rebuke
- b) political control by a mob
- d) recent
- a) of or relating to oysters
- d) redundancy
- c) repeating noise
- b) faultfinder
- a) presumptuous
Jumping for joy over your score?
10-12 So, I see you enjoy being an introvert and book worm.
07-09 People only pretend to know what you’re talking about.
04-06 You might not want to try out for Jeopardy.
00-03 If I were you, I’d stick with Word Search puzzles.