Be gracious in your speech. The goal is to bring out the best in others in a conversation, not put them down, not cut them out. ~ Colossians 4:16 (MSG)
A late night word search taught me the meaning of another bunch of words. What is the category or type for each of these words?
- ACAJOU – a) any of several mahogannies; b) slang for “I’ve got you,” common in hip-hop lyrics; c) “God bless you” in Punjabi; d) a hilltop memorial
- BLUCHER – a) a disruption; b) a bass fiddle brand; c) a type of footwear; d) a tool used to descale fish
- CRAMPON – a) a climbing iron used especially on ice and snow; b) an anti-inflammatory medication; c) a sedan with two poles used in the hill country of India; d) tight quarters
- DIKUME – a) a person known for their authenticity; b) a Japanese alloy used in decorative work on gold and silver; c) an endangered species of fish in the Cichlidae family; d) rich soil
- HALNY – a) another word for cliche; b) a game similar to Chinese checkers; c) a tailor’s term used to refer to a suit’s pinstripe; d) a wind that blows in southern Poland and in Slovakia
- IVECO – a) a type of coco plum; b) an Italian truck manufacturer; c) a mobile yurt; d) a course or compass direction
- MASOOLA – a) light portable antitank weapon; b) a type of boat; c) a hereditary estate in Pakistan; d) a body of notes on the textual traditions of the Hebrew Scripture
- PRUNELLA – a) a wicked person; b) a Welsh carriage; c) a gardening tool; d) a twilled woolen fabric
- SRANG – a) any plain or mixed drink containing alcohol; b) a Scottish medieval weapon; c) a bothersome person; d) a formerly used monetary unit of Tibet
- TATAOUINE – a) straw matting used as a floor covering in a Japanese home; b) a seasoned stew made of eggplant, tomatoes, green peppers, and squash; c) a city in southern Tunisia; d) outlandish, unintelligible speech
- VELODROME – a) an arena for track cycling; b) a word, verse, or sentence, or a number that reads the same backward or forward; c) a movie or play characterized by extravagant theatricality; d) a concave steel drum used in musical performances
- ZLOTY – a) a tenant under the protection of city law; b) the basic monetary unit of Poland; c) a risky business investment; d) suspicious or questionable behavior
Have you chosen the correct definition? Can you use the words in a sentence? Scroll down to see how you did.
For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a slave to all, so that I may win more. To the Jews I became as a Jew, so that I might win Jews; to those who are under the Law, as under the Law though not being myself under the Law, so that I might win those who are under the Law; to those who are without law, as without law, though not being without the law of God but under the law of Christ, so that I might win those who are without law. To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak; I have become all things to all men, so that I may by all means save some. I do all things for the sake of the gospel, so that I may become a fellow partaker of it. ~ 1 Corinthians 9:19-23 (NASB)
Here are the correct answers.
- a) ACAJOU – any of several mahogannies
- c) BLUCHER – a type of footwear
- a) CRAMPON – a climbing iron used especially on ice and snow
- c) DIKUME – endangered species of fish in the Cichlidae family
- d) HALNY – a wind that blows in southern Poland and in Slovakia
- b) IVECO – an Italian truck manufacturer
- b) MASOOLA – a type of boat
- d) PRUNELLA – twilled woolen fabric
- d) SRANG – a formerly used monetary unit of Tibet
- c) TATAOUINE – a city in southern Tunisia
- a) VELODROME – an arena for track cycling
- b) ZLOTY – the basic monetary unit of Poland
Happy with your score?
10-12 My, my, you are a very well-rounded person, aren’t you?
07-09 When you speak, does the average person stare off into nothingness?
04-06 So what if you’ve never been to China, India, Japan, Pakistan, Poland, Scotland, Slovakia, Tibet, Tunisia, or Wales. As quiz-master, I rule.
00-03 Stop giggling. I wasn’t referring to the weight of those who got 10-12 correct.