If you’re not part of a writer’s critique group, you’re missing out on a great resource. I can guarantee that your writing peers will be more helpful and more objective than your friends or mother!
Currently, I am a member of a six-member fiction group which meets twice a month. Since the five others in the group write genres different from mine (sci-fi and fantasy), I recently became part of a virtual Women’s Contemporary Critique Group, too. We critique monthly via conference call.
In the recent past, I served as President of Word Weavers Merrimack Valley chapter for over two years. I’ve included the Word Weavers International, Inc. information below in case you would like to start a chapter in your area. I highly recommend their critique model–and it will save you time, money, and work!
It doesn’t cost anything to launch a chapter. And any monies your chapter does spend will come out of the members’ yearly dues. Contact Word Weavers President Eva Marie Everson at Info@word-weavers.com to find out how to get started.
Word Weavers International, Inc. Mission Statement
Community * Critique * Conferences
Through the use of community, honest critique without the use of criticism, and funds and encouragement that enable our members to attend conferences, we believe we can change the world for the Lord, one word at a time.
We endeavor to fulfill our mission and vision by:
Actively praying for each other’s successes
- Holding regularly scheduled critique sessions
- Offering annual retreats for in-depth critique and fellowship
- Sharing information about writing opportunities, conferences, and contests
- Helping connect members with editors, agents, and other publishing professionals
- Providing guest speakers at meetings, retreats, and workshops
- Offering smaller, genre-specific critique groups in addition to the general critique sessions
- Building professional knowledge through our website
- Striving for excellence in such a manner that we are recognized by our professionalism and work at conferences, etc.
Who We Are
In March 1997, five members of Northland Church (Longwood, Florida) gathered around a dining room table, eager to encourage one another in the art of writing. Since then, we have grown from those five members to over thirty face-to-face membership chapters across the United States and Canada. Through the use of “the sandwich method” we have seen our members sharpen their skills, find their way to publication in a number of genres and venues, and win awards of excellence.
What Defines a Word Weaver Critique Group?
- Our focus is Christ-centered
- We behave thusly in our work and in our attitudes and behavior
- We are professional. With our unique process and format, we show our industry that we take our craft seriously
- We are encouraging to others. We believe that, having been blessed, we are to be a blessing to others.
Statement of Faith
- We believe in the Scripture of the Old and New Testaments as inspired by God, and that they are the supreme and final authority in faith and life.
- We believe in one God, eternally existing in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
- We believe that Jesus Christ was begotten by the Holy Spirit and born of the Virgin Mary and is true God and true man.
- We believe that man was created in the image of God; that he sinned and thereby incurred not only physical death but also that spiritual death which is separation from God; and that all human beings are born with a sinful nature and, in the case of those who reach moral responsibility, become sinners in thought, word and deed.
- We believe that the Lord Jesus Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, as a representative and substitutionary sacrifice and that all who believe in Him are justified on the ground of His shed blood.
- We believe in the resurrection of the crucified body of our Lord, His ascension into heaven, and His present life there for us as a High Priest and Advocate.
- We believe that all who receive by repentance and faith the Lord Jesus Christ are born again by the Holy Spirit, and become children of God.
- We believe in the bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, the everlasting blessedness of the saved and the everlasting punishment of the lost.
- We believe in the spiritual unity of believers in the Lord Jesus Christ.