Much of this vocabulary quiz is based on The Thinker’s Thesaurus by Peter E. Meltzer.
Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone. ~ Colossians 4:6 (NIV)
- appanage – a) detriment; b) adjunct; c) an extra toe; d) long-term contract
- busker – a) street performer; b) corn husker; c) overly talkative; d) abrasive
- desiderate – a) beat down; b) yearn; c) deliberate; d) separate
- formic — a) according to a formula; b) clay-like; c) of or relating to ants; d) quinine water
- gamboge – a) swollen; b) yellow; c) an expert gamer; d) bogus
- lightsome – a) light-hearted; b) well lit; c) easy to fool; d) nimble
- lusus – a) abnormality; b) clarity; c) richness; d) a constant
- meiosis – a) farsightedness; b) hyperbole; c) a type of irony; d) scalp condition
- neoteric – a) recent; b) earth-like; c) wise; d) historian
- pother a) a potter’s wheel; b) pick-up game of polo; c) pest; d) commotion
- rimple – a) pimple; b) simple; c) wrinkle; d) dimple
- schmaltzy – a) cheap; b) flavor of a malted drink; c) scheming; d) sentimental
Have you chosen the correct definition? Can you use the words in a sentence? Scroll down to see how you did.
May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer. ~ Psalm 19:14 (NIV)
Here are the answers.
- b) adjunct
- a) street performer
- b) yearn
- c) of or relating to ants
- b) yellow
- d) nimble
- a) abnormality
- c) a type of irony
- a) recent
- d) commotion
- c) wrinkle
- d) sentimental
For the foolishness of God is wiser than human wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than human strength. ~ 1 Corinthians 1:25 (NIV)
Jumping for joy over your score?
10-12 Youse a reel genius.
07-09 People must have a difficult time communicating with you.
04-06 I bet you do well at Scrabble.
00-03 Call me sometime. We can practice our one syllable words.